tips if you are traveling to Batanes
to Batanes is an adventure. Here are a few tips to make your stay
more enjoyable. Before reaching Batanes you should have:
- enough cash with you, your credit card is not accepted (no
communication facilities yet to support it)
- if you are traveling from abroad, you may decide to convert your
dollars (or other foreign currencies) to local currency while you're
in Manila. Exchange rate is more competitive in Manila.
- If you lost something while in Batanes (such as wallet, bag or
other personal belongings) you can go to the radio station (Radyo
ng Bayan) to announce it. Likewise, local people
on the road
have found something usually bring it to the radio station to be announced.
Its not unusual that lost wallet or even large amount of cash can be
safely returned to the rightful owner.
- bring with you comfortable clothing and outdoor shoes, you'll surely
find yourself walking along the shore lines or trekking on the hills.
-Don't forget to bring with you your personal things such as medicines
enough for your stay, flashlight (electricity switches-off at midnight),
camera (with extra films and batteries), flight tickets and identification
papers, raincoat/umbrella if you're visiting during rainy season.
- Batanes is continuing its efforts to preserve its natural resources.
Help them by keeping your surroundings clean and avoiding damages in
its natural resources. The beaches are free but you're expected to be
responsible enough to clean your surrounding when you leave.
- Remember that you are only allowed 10 kilos of free check-in baggage
during your flight to and from Batanes. Excess baggage costs around
P45.00 per kilo. So travel lightly.
-Flights may be canceled due to bad weather, make enough allowances
on your schedules and cash in your pocket.